Did you know that most people opt for “turkey burgers” rather than regular burgers, because they believe they are making a healthier choice? Unfortunately, what they are not taking into consideration is the quality of the ground turkey. This is the reason why I never order turkey burgers when I am out to eat. THIS turkey burger, however, is VERY different. The biggest difference, and the most important point to remember is to ONLY buy ground turkey breast. I only purchase this ground turkey from Whole Foods.
Here is what you’ll need: (makes 6 burgers)
1. 1 lb. of organic ground turkey breast
2. Annie’s organic BBQ sauce (original) 1 tbspn. per burger
3. 1 cup of organic oats
4. 1/2 can organic black beans
5. 6 slices of pickled sliced jalapenos (for each burger)
7.organic tomato slices
8. 1 small organic red onion
9. 2 organic garlic cloves
10. 2 tbspn. avocado oil
11. 1 organic avocado
12. Organic Sandwich thins, Amy’s Kitchen makes gluten free sandwich thins.
13. Organic pepper jack cheese slices
1. Sauté the onions and garlic in a pan with 1 tbspn. of avocado oil
2.In a separate bowl, mix the raw, ground turkey breast, sautéed onions and garlic, 1/2 can of black beans, and 1 cup of oats together.
3. Create 6 patties and place them in the same onion pan, with 1 tbspn. more of avocado oil.
4. Prep the patties while waiting for the burgers to cook. ( See the photo above to show the layering process)
– pepperjack cheese, arugula, tomato slice, and then on the other half… BBQ sauce and jalapeno slices.
5. Add the turkey burger patty to the sandwich thin and cut in half. I served mine with steamed broccoli.
Pairs perfectly with some pinot noir. 😛