This salmon recipe is so delicious, you may even be able to trick your kids/husband, or even yourself into believing it tastes like a flavorful piece of chicken. A while back I did a lot of reading on the health benefits of salmon. I decided I needed to try and incorporate more salmon my diet. The problem was, I HATED salmon. I literally was blown away that people actually went to restaurants and ordered that. It smelled awful and I refused to eat it. I knew I had to come up with a delicious recipe to get this fish down. 2 years later I can honestly say that if I go out to eat, especially to seasons 52, I will only order their organic salmon. I make this dish at least 4 times a month. I love it so much! I really hope you will also grow to love salmon. Here are a few reasons why you should: highly concentrated in omega 3 (This is attributed to improving brain function, heart health, and joint health. There are only 2 other foods that contain higher amounts of omega 3 than salmon- flaxseeds and walnuts), heals inflammation in the digestive tract, high in selenium (which heals/prevents inflammation and certain types of cancers), and so much more!
How to choose the best salmon:
You want to always ensure that you are choosing wild, Atlantic salmon. This is proven to have the lowest amounts of mercury. If you cannot find wild, Atlantic salmon, your 2nd best bet is ORGANIC, responsibly farm raised salmon. There are very strict guidelines followed in order to ensure the salmon are not overfed rapidly, which in turns leads to high mercury contents. This is why I DO NOT order salmon at restaurants, unless it is wild, or organic.
Anyways, I think you will like this recipe. Be careful not to over cook it. It can tend to dry out easily, and then the health benefits are not as great. I serve it with a side of blanched broccoli and a vegan/GF cheese sauce over top.
Here’s What You’ll Need: (for the salmon)
1. 2 limes
2. 2-3 Wild, Atlantic Salmon filets
3. Bill Barron’s Lime Tequila Seafood Seasoning (found at Whole Foods next to the seafood dept.)
4. 1 tspn. avocado oil
Here’s What You’ll Need: (cheese sauce)
1. 1 1/2 cup of flax milk
2. 1 cup of shredded, chedder, Daiya vegan, soy-free cheese
3. 3 tbsp. GF flour
4. 3 tbsp. Earth Balance Soy Free butter
5. A dash of salt and cayenne pepper
6. One pack of organic (fresh) broccoli… not frozen.
Directions for Salmon:
1. Drizzle 1 tspn of avocado oil all around the salmon filets (inside a baking glass)
2. Before you cut your lime, you are going to shave the lime rind over top of the filets. You should sprinkle just enough to lightly cover the surface, see the pic below.
3.Cut one lime into wedges, and one lime in to thin slices (For a garnish later on)
4. Fork holes into the salmon, and then squeeze 2 limes over each salmon filet.
5. Then, sprinkle one tbsp. of the Lime Tequila seasoning over top of the 3 salmon filets. Do a little less if you are only doing two. Do 1/2 tbsp. for only one salmon filet.
6. Broil the salmon in the oven for aprox. 10-12 minutes. At about 6 minutes, I take it out, and scrape off the skin. I put it back into the oven for the remaining time.
Directions for the Cheesy Broccoli :
1. Wash the head of broccoli and cut into desired pieces.
2. Steam cook for 5 minutes.
3. Toss the broccoli directly into the ice bath waiting. This prevents it from cooking longer. (Keep your broccoli crunchy- higher nutrition)
4. After 30 seconds, drain the broccoli and place in a dish until ready to be served.
5. Start preparing your cheese sauce by preparing a double broiler, or a pot on LOW heat.
6. Add all of the ingredients listed above and stir often- with a fork or wisk, until all the lumps are gone.
7. Pour the boiling hot cheese sauce directly over the broccoli. Serve with the salmon. Squeeze a dash more lime juice over top of the salmon and garnish with the pretty lime slice.